Friday, August 17, 2012

OBEY

WOW! I cannot believe that I looked at my blog and it has been over a month since I have posted anything.  Not that I am an avid blogger, but that is a long time.  With the summer almost at an end and school cranking up I think it is a perfect time for us as a church and me as a person to consider this idea of OBEY.  Now upon fist glance a series like OBEY may seem a bit childish because we all want to think that the idea of obeying is something that only children struggle with. However,  I am learning that as an adult I seem to struggle with obeying even more than I think my own kids do.  Please do not tell them I said that it could ruin everything.  LOL!

I think as adults we struggle with obedience because most of us have mastered the art of justification.  When we do not want to do something we just justify why it does not fit into our lives any longer or if we want to do something that we know is completely against what scripture teaches then we just justify why it is OK for me to ignore scripture.  Of course any time we do either of these two thing there are consequences.  And just like a child, we never focus on the consequences until they are effecting us in a negative way.

So over the next 2 weeks at www.relevantchurch.com we are going to explore this idea of OBEY through the life of a prophet named Jonah and see how far his justification took him and what it took to get him back on the right path.  We are going to use this definition of OBEDIENCE as we journey together.
OBEDIENCE- doing what you are told to do, when you are told to do it, with the right heart attitude.

WOW!  Doing all three of those together is going to be difficult but I think we are all going to learn a ton about ourselves through this journey together.  I read a verse today in Galatians 1 that rocked my world in consideration of this idea of OBEY.  Check it out.

Galatians 1:10 (NLT)
Obviously, I’m not trying to be a people pleaser! No, I am trying to please God. If I were still trying to please people, I would not be Christ’s servant.

Strong words and a strong message.  Join us this weekend as we kick off "OBEY"


No comments: