Friday, July 13, 2012

Summer 2012 and the Identifier

I cannot believe that it is already July 13.  It seems like yesterday that our family was talking about going on our family vacation to the beach and that already took place a month ago.  I can remember as a kid thinking that the summer would never get here and then once it came it was over before we knew it.  The same seems to true even as an adult.  I always look forward to my kids being out of school so that we can do fun things.  We pack as much fun as we can in right after school get out and it is awesome.  However, around this time in the summer the fun seems to slow down and the boredom sets in. There seems to be no great recipe for disaster then boredom and kids.  Now if your kids are not like mine then the rest of this will not make sense at all, but if they are I will ask for an amen.  Boredom in our house leads to trying to find ways to not be bored, which leads to someone picking on someone else, which leads to a frustration in someone, which leads to a blow-up, which usually leads to chaos.  Can anyone relate?
This got me thinking about our series that we are currently in right now at Relevant Church called "The Identifier".  I think it would be great if we could have some special power to identify the chaos before it get to the point of now return. However, most of the time we identify the problem after the chaos.  Hence the term "hindsight is 20/20".  It is always easier to identify the problem after the fact but in our spiritual lives we need to identify sin before it destroys our lives.  But how do we accomplish this?  Last week we identified the sin of fear which many of us have often thought was just a kid sin.  However, after last week my prayer is that all week you have been quoting the verse from 2 Timothy:
2 Timothy 1:7(NLT)  7For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.

My prayer is that as we identify the sins in our lives each week we would be collecting the tools that we need to identify them before they wreck us.  I am learning this principle with my kids "a little"> Now when Susie and I see the warning signs of boredom we divert the attention.  Quite frankly right now I need to go because Ashlyn needs a serious diversion or we could be having some chaos this AM.  Can't wait to see you all on Sunday as we identify a whole new issue.  All I can say is what do you get when you pair a 32 year old female and a Glee cheerleader costume.  "SCARY VILLAIN"

No comments: