Thursday, April 5, 2007

Thoughts on Thursday

Well I guess by the title you have figured out what day it is and yes I have some random thoughts to share with you as Good Friday approaches. I have often thought of this whole Good Friday thing as just another day that my kids are out of school. But this year when our public school board decided to no longer recognize Good Friday as a holiday you should have seen the religious people rise up in protest. Now I am not saying that I agree with the school board because I do not. But I do this it is interesting that those of us who call ourselves followers of Christ would much rather follow from a far than right up close. You see following close would mean that we would have to do far more with this relationship that just pull out the Christian card when our family beach day gets taken away.

Peter learned this lesson all to well on probably a Thursday night some 2000 years ago. He had a decision to make "would he identify himself with this Jesus guy who had raised the dead, fed 5,000 people with a school lunch, and walked on water while letting Peter do the same. Or would he play it safe. And the survey says "yes Peter did what I do most of the time, he played it safe and in essence said "Jesus who"

Maybe tomorrow will be a different kind of Good Friday for me. Maybe I will wake up and realize that this Friday is far more significant that the invention of casual Friday were you can dress like you want at work. Maybe this Friday I will realize that Good Friday actually signifies the fact that because of someone else I can come to God just as I am and He will not send me home to change before I come to Him.

My prayer is that each of you will be struck with awe Friday like you have not been struck in a while. Then your awe would lead you to share with someone else just why you are awe struck.

Good Friday to you all.

No comments: