Thursday, March 15, 2007

7 days

I am sitting here this evening reflecting on the past week just astonished at what can happen in just 7 days. Last week about this time on Thursday I received word that Stan Weiss, a man that was like a second father to me and a person who has been a part of relevant since day one suddenly went home to be with the Lord. Now I do not know about you but I have noticed some things about death lately that I did not notice before. I think that in death we think more about life that at any other time in our life because we realize how quickly it can end. Another unique thing that I have noticed in death is that we never really focus on the bad things that we experienced with the deceased because quite frankly at that moment those things seem so trivial. I know many of you are saying to yourself get to the point Paul we know these things already. Well here it is “I wonder if we can focus on what really matters like life, God, family, and relationships during times of sorrow how much more fruitful would our lives be if we did that on a daily basis. The bible encourages this in Philippians 4:8

Philippians 4:8 (MSG)
8 Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious—the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse.
Boy I wish that this verse described me sometimes but I must admit that it does not. Let me give you a quote for Anthony about the events of this week. He said “dad I sure am sad that Mr. Stan died he was really funny I am going to miss him”. Me to buddy me too.
So on the heals of the funeral service for Stan I came home exhausted only to find that my kids had a tremendous amount of energy and wanted to go mountain biking. As we were loading up both cars because Anthony invited the whole neighborhood my phone rang. Now most of the time when I am with my kids I will just let it ring but for some reason I answered the call even though I did not recognize the number. One the other line was a lady named Bobby and here is what she said “you may not remember me but my name is Bobby and I have cancer and lost my house last year during hurricane Katrina and you and your team came and helped me clean my yard and house and on the anniversary of Katrina I juts wanted to make sure I said thank you. I was blown away by your team as they came into my destroyed house and sat at my table and just listened and prayed with me. I will never forget your kindness and I just wanted you to know I appreciate it.” All I could do was begin to cry. Here was a lady that for a whole year she kept my business card and just a simple pray and a little work meant so much to her that wanted to call just to say thanks. I pray that I would be that thankful for what I have and for what people do for me.

No comments: