Thursday, March 15, 2007

following God

Have you ever wondered what it was really like to follow God. I mean to really follow Him. The disciples seemed to have this so easy and yet they struggled with it unless Jesus was right by their side. I have wondered for years “God if all you desire is for me to follow you then why is it so hard?" You would think that all you have to do is just have a desire to follow Him and it would happen, however, there seems to be so much more attached to it. One of Webster’s definitions of follow is “To go after, as if in pursuit.” I have been vexed by this for quite some time because I evaluate my spiritual journey and wonder am I really in pursuit of God.

I guess I am writing this because I am quite sure there must be others out there struggling with the same thing. Although I do not think I have all of the answers by any means, I am beginning to learn a few things about this pursuit. I think it is the word pursuit that is the difficult thing because the word makes me feel as if I am in a race to follow God, yet I will never catch up with Him. And while this is true in the realm of my spiritual development, I think God’s desire to have us personally connected to Him in our relationship to Him is also part of following Him.

I am still a firm believer that He really desires us to just walk with Him in the cool of the day as Adam did back in the Garden of Eden. The other day I was walking through Ybor quite early in the morning. No one was around and there was an incredible breeze blowing. In that moment, I felt as if God was telling me “Paul this is what I desire from you, for you to walk with me in the coolness of the morning and just be quiet.” However, it is so much easier to run with Him in the fast pace events of a Sunday morning when it feels like I am doing so much more for Him. But I am learning that if I do not spend the time in the stillness with Him, I probably will never hear Him in my business.

So you say Paul what is all of this rambling about. Well maybe you have been like me lately “just a little too busy to take a stroll with God." I found some verses in Psalms 119 written by David a fellow struggler that helped me with my strolling problem so I wanted to pass them along to you today. I trust you can find the time to stroll with God today.

Chapter 119
1. You're blessed when you stay on course, walking steadily on the road revealed by God. 2. You're blessed when you follow his directions, doing your best to find him. 3. That's right—you don't go off on your own; you walk straight along the road he set. 4. You, God, prescribed the right way to live; now you expect us to live it. 5. Oh, that my steps might be steady, keeping to the course you set; 6. Then I'd never have any regrets in comparing my life with your counsel. 7. I thank you for speaking straight from your heart; I learn the pattern of your righteous ways. 8. I'm going to do what you tell me to do; don't ever walk off and leave me.

Have an awesome day.

Paul

No comments: