Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Crazy Christmas Gifts

I don't know if any of you do crazy things for your kids at Christmas. But Susie and I have a problem I think. We start getting gifts around September just so we can get just the right gifts and also spread out the cost so that we can afford it. It works pretty well until one week before Christmas you find your sons Christmas list that he has wrote out and in big bold print he has the one thing you did not get. For us this year it was a puppy. now if you know anything about our family we have tried to do the dog thing twice now and not had such good luck one ended with Anthony in the hospital getting his ear re-attached and the other ended with a child from our church with teeth marks in his head. But when you read as a parent I would give everything back if I could just have a dog. WOW that cuts deep. So yesterday I set out on my quest to find a good dog for my family and that quest landed me in Miami 5 hours from home. But I have secured the dog that I hope will make a little boys dream come true. By the way it is a Dachshund, pictures will follow later.

So I was thinking of the verses in the new testament where Jesus says:
If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!
Matthew 7:11 NIV

If this is true than why do we not ask for more things from our heavenly dad. I wonder if when we pray He acts like I did when I say Anthony's list. Does He get all excited about the list because we finally asked Him for something? Does His heart leap a bit when He is sure that we are going to get it? Does He have a hard time waiting to give us the gift because He is so excited about our reaction. I think that of all of the emotion that I am feeling right now as I anticipate my kids reaction I think that they must pail in significance to how God (our heavenly Dad feels when he gives us gifts) I wonder if that is how He felt when He gave the world His son as the ultimate gift. Now that was a crazy gift. One we needed but quite frankly could not even fathom receiving but He gave it and we can receive it. WOW our God is so amazing. Thanks for the Gift God!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. On a side note...my brother has two dachshunds and they are wonderful pets. I just love them!!! If I got a dog, that is the kind I would get! :)

Hal Mayer said...

thank you daddy- I love you