Thursday, January 24, 2008
Well We have been going through this new series called "Green" for the past few weeks and man has it been incredible. The first week we tackled the MasterCard slogan "what's in your wallet" and I think we really made some strides with this whole idea of debt and also how to put a little more green back in your wallet. Here are some stories that I received from people after last week.
The way I save money is by washing clothing...I find miscellaneous dollar bills and I hide them until things get a little tight. Each week I try and put away about $10 and then when necessary...my stash becomes the saving grace..:) (Tip: Switch hiding places often...)
Also, I try to pay about 15% ahead on all the bills...when there is an emergency (car breaks down or Christmas comes around the corner and nothing has been purchased yet), no stress. The bills are tiny and non threatening.
When you go out to eat with you wife or significant other split every thing except the drink and you will find yourself spending about 1/2 the money and eating about 1/2 the calories. Also you most likely won't have left overs that sit in the fridge accumulating mold that will just get thrown out next week when the smell hits you as you look for a snack!
Because of your teaching we spent some of Sunday afternoon creating a budget which included getting to our safety net goal, determining how much we could spend on fun every month, specific events for this year that we are saving for, and determining exactly what are our financial goals.
I know these are just a few and I am sure that there are many more but I guess I really just want us to stop spending money that we do not have and really start learning the principle of paying off debt and living within our means. There are so many people who could do some incredible things for God and for their families but they are strapped to the man because of debt and by the man I do not mean their boss I mean their creditors. Here is what Proverbs says.
Just as the rich rule the poor, so the borrower is servant to the lender.
What does that verse say to you? please leave comments. Also I have included the video that we used for the transition. I think This nails it one the head. Enjoy.
Thursday, January 17, 2008
1. Thanks Perry for telling me to jump I really needed a friend to tell me straight just do it if God is calling you. And you have not stopped since then. Thanks dude you are an inspiration.
2. Thanks Kevin, Charlotte, Jamie, Carly, and Susie for believing in me even when I questioned myself. You guys are the best. I will never forget some of those meetings with just the 6 of us in a living room dreaming of what Relevant might be and now look at it. God is so good.
3. Thanks Carl and Kristin you are the best worship leader in the country and you listened to God and came on the dream of what God could do here at Relevant. You were worth the risk of having no money. You guys are incredible.
4. Thanks Bay Life Church. You guys have been such a great support church. You prepared me for the journey I am now on.
5. Thanks to the people who started with us in the hotel ballroom and are still with us today at the Italian Club. You guys serve like no other church in America.
6. Thanks Jason for serving here while working at other places just to be a part of Relevant your kind of commitment is rare.
So now that I have thanked people I just want to thank God because without Him I know I would be stuck in the burbs not having a blast in the city.
- God I am amazed everyday that you choose to let me be a part of your big plan here at Relevant.
- Thanks for proving all of our critics wrong who said that a church for 20 and 3o somethings was impossible.
- Thanks for the over 150 people who have been baptized over the last 3 years.
- Thanks for crazy growth. from 120 on the first Sunday to over 350 after just 3 years that is 50% growth per year. Only you can do that.
- Thanks for taking care of us financially. Without outside support once we launched You God provided for every need. I am in awe of that.
- From 1 service in Jan of 05 to two services 9 months later to three services one year after that WOW God you are awesome.
- Over 100 volunteers serving each weekend just to make sure we make the name of Jesus famous.
- God you allowed us to rebuild a house for a widow on our 1 year anniversary. WOW
Friday, January 4, 2008
Here is the new video for our Spring Growth Groups. The song was written by our worship guy Carl. I know I want to join a group now. How about you? Why not choose to not do life alone in 2008. Join a group today. For more info about growth groups view the following video of James our Growth Group Pastor.