Monday, June 16, 2008

Sometime I am too Blessed

I received an email from a dear friend and children's worker of our today and it was about my daughter Ashlyn through the eyes of two other children. I truly have never been so touched in all my life. I am blessed to have a daughter like Ashlyn and friends like this. I hope this blesses you as much as it did me.

I just a discussion with my sons that I thought I would share. I've been working in children's church the last couple of weeks. Today Wesly was watching Ashlyn. He caught me off to the side and began asking questions (for 10 I thought he was very discreet). I told him we'd talk later. As is our tradition at the end of the day when tucking them in we talk about things that happened that day and Ashlyn came up. As best I could I explained the situation. I explained that she was sick... and that despite her body growing up her mind was staying very much like a child. I couldn't think of a better way to explain it. Wesly had quite a few questions. After the expected bout of questions... how she got sick... was it contagious...etc. He looked at me and teared up and said... "Daddy... she's not going to get better is she?" My answer (through tears) was that there was no known cure. But that in history smart men have been blessed by God to find cures for things that were thought to be impossible to cure.... that I didn't know if we would see a cure in our lifetimes or not, but that it wasn't impossible. He thought about it for a while and began to cry. I asked if I could help him with something... and he said "I bet her mommy and daddy cry." Then we all teared up. After a minute he comforted me and said, "Daddy... when we get to heaven she wont be sick anymore.... remember... you said there is no sickness there." In amazement at that statement... I agreed and tucked them in and stepped out. After a minute Wesly called me back into the room. He explained that he no longer wanted to be an Ice Cream maker when he grew up (this has been his dream for a year or so). I asked him why not... and he told me that he wanted to be a scientist researcher... and find a cure because he wanted to see her better before heaven. After I composed myself I told him that he was a smart boy and if thats what he wanted to do I believed he may be able to do it someday.

At this point Jacob... who had been on the bottom bunk listening the whole time piped in and said, "I know what I want to do." Wes and I both looked and he said, "I just want to be her friend."

Wow.

I debated sending this email.... I'm sure you guys get alot of emails from folks about it... and I didn't want to be just another email or comment from folks about how they felt sorry for you... but the insight from the minds of children I thought was a blessing that I couldn't help but share. God has blessed you and placed a burden that we cant fathom and wont pretend to. Just wanted to let you guys know that our family prays for you and that there are two little boys over here tonight that have absolutely determined that they are going to be Ashyln's friend. And a daddy who cant stop tearing up.

She will be healed one day!!!! Thank you God.

1 comment:

brutha_bran said...

Dude.. That's just good stuff..