Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Sweatin to the 80's is sometimes just sweatin


Well Sunday we launched our "Sweatin to the 80's" series amid some killer 80's tunes, "Eye of the Tiger" to be exact. I think it is amazing how much I feel like working out when I have the right music playing on my ipod. Now I know that there are some people who can work out and listen to sermons or books, but I am not one of those guys. I really need some driving guitar licks and head banging music of the 80's to really get me going. So to help people "get off of the couch" and get moving we have created a workout video with me as your coach. Now I know what you are saying "Paul you as a coach? Don't you need this as much as anyone?" to which I would respond Yes. That is why I am sort of a player/ coach. You see I am actually doing the workouts with you. It is kind of funny and serious at the same time. Check it out at our church blog.

So I thought I would drop in here the main points from Sunday just in case anyone missed out or would like to refer back to the main points of the "Eye of the Tiger" message you can also check out the podcast from Sunday's service on our web site:

Main passage for series

Hebrews 12:1-2 (NLT)
1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily hinders our progress. And let us run with endurance the race that God has set before us. 2We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from start to finish.

Practical biblical tools for exercise

1. get off of the couch
  • stop making excuses for not working out
  • we cannot hire someone to exercise for us we have to do it ourselves
Proverbs 26:13-15 (The Message)
13Loafers say, “It’s dangerous out there! Tigers are prowling the streets!” and then pull the covers back over their heads. 14Just as a door turns on its hinges, so a lazybones turns back over in bed. 15A shiftless sluggard puts his fork in the pie, but is too lazy to lift it to his mouth.

2. Stop raiding the fridge
  • stop making it about what you eat and make it about how much you eat
  • a great web site to help track your food intake for you is Myfooddiary.com
  • to many people quite because they hate the food that they have to eat. Start by adding God food back into you diet.
Proverbs 23:1-3 (The Message)
1When you go out to dinner with an influential person, mind your manners: 2Don’t gobble your food, don’t talk with your mouth full. 3And don’t stuff yourself; bridle your appetite.

Proverbs 23:20-21 (The Message
20Don’t drink too much wine and get drunk; don’t eat too much food and get fat.21Drunks and gluttons will end up on skid row, in a stupor and dressed in rags.

3. Get a partner
  • Use the buddy system
  • Friends don’t let friends work out alone
Proverbs 27:6, 17 (NLT)
6Wounds from a friend are better than many kisses from an enemy.
17As iron sharpens iron, a friend sharpens a friend.

4. Get moving
  • stop watching people work out and start working out
  • stop talking about working out and just start
I Corinthians 9:24-27 (NLT)
24Remember that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize. You also must run in such a way that you will win. 25All athletes practice strict self-control. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. 26So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I am not like a boxer who misses his punches. _ 27I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.

We live in a culture that is obsessed with the physical body. My prayer is that by earning their respect in regards to the honoring the body that God has given me that I may earn a right to share with them about the love that Christ has for them and their body. Spiritually and physically. I do not want to be disqualified from being able to speak into peoples lives.
What about you?

Happy workout.

Paul

the workout video will be up sometime this afternoon. Sorry about the delay.



No comments: