Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Birthday Week

I know many of you have had those weeks where someone in your family is having birthday and so you are running around all week making preparations for the big day. Well that is happening for me this week except instead of one birthday in our house this week there are 3 yes that is right three. Ashlyn's (12) was yesterday, Susie's (I am not supposed to say 40) is Friday, and Anthony's (9) is Saturday, so need less to say there is some stress in our house this week. It is kind of cool to have them all so close together because I never forget them but the special day sort of thing is lost a bit because everything is so close together. You know we go from princess stuff. to over the hill stuff, to power rangers, I thought an Old Princess Ranger would be a cool twist but I did not receive any takers on the idea.
So we celebrated our little princess's birthday party on Sunday after church and Ashlyn was thrilled. You know sometimes her being special needs teaches me a ton of things. She received several presents but they were not huge dollar items, however, she just loved the fact that someone got her something and she was able to open gifts. After Susie wrapped one of her gifts Saturday night Ashlyn looked at it she said OH a new puzzle!! How did she know? But she kept it wrapped all night and even took it to church the next day clutching it in her arms because it was her present.
This got me thinking God has given us His son as our gift and many times I decide not to take him anywhere with me. I wonder why that is? Could it be that we do not view Him as being as special as He once was? Could we be treating Him like kids do with many toys "they are great for a while but then we want something different? I am reminded of a verse that maybe we all need to commit to memory.

Heb 4:12 (NLT)
12For the word of God is full of living power. It is sharper than the sharpest knife, cutting deep into our innermost thoughts and desires. It exposes us for what we really are.

The word of God is Living Power that means it should continually satisfy us. Just like in this series we are daily focusing on the intimacy with our spouses we need to be focusing our attention on our relationship with Christ as well.

OK so I have to go now I still have two parties to plan. BTW if anyone has any ideas about what to do for Susie's 40 please leave me some comments. I need some help.

Paul

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to all your family! That is a busy week for you. I hope it all turns out well (which I'm sure it will). :)