Thursday, March 15, 2007

just listen

WOW

What an incredible way to start the day. I just finished placing my kids on the bus for school, and I am now sitting on the back porch listening to the birds and watching the sun rise. I know some of you are asking, "Paul why are you being so sentimental?" Well I guess this week I have really been trying to take to heart my own message from a few weeks ago and just "Shut up and Listen." It is amazing what you hear when you listen. I just heard a train go by that I know has been going by at the same time for the last six years, but I guess I have become so accustomed to it that I just stopped noticing. Quite frankly I think it is because of the fast paced life that most of us lead that we all stop noticing things. Think about it. How many of you have driven from work all the way home without ever really being conscious of it? Now you may think I am crazy, but am I? Our lives have become such a routine that we miss even the little things that could make such a difference in someone else's life. Just yesterday I was reminded of this by my son. I had come home and had the usual list of things that I wanted to accomplish when Anthony and his friends asked if I would go swimming. (For those of you who were here last week, no I did not make him choose who could go this time. Lucky for me there were only two with him. HA HA) So I finished up what I was doing, got a running start, and did a cannonball right in the middle of the pool. This initiated an instant wrestling match and I started throwing small bodies everywhere. This lasted for about 15 minutes and I was exhausted, but for those three guys it was incredible.

In that moment I noticed something. A lot of time I talk a big game about being a good father and husband and spiritual leader. But most of the time it's just talk, because I fail to really hear what the actual needs are. So today I am choosing to listen. In order to do that I have to learn how to control my tongue. This is exactly what James is talking about in Chapter 3. And that is what we are going to be looking at this week at Relevant. We are going to play the game OUTBURST, and I am sure many of us have been playing this game quite a bit this week already. So join us Sunday as we look at another game that people play. See you then. Have an awesome weekend.

Paul

No comments: